Start a new topic
Solved

Incoming calls from Telkom landline sometimes don't connect

Someone tried to call my FreshPHONE 087 number three times this morning from a Telkom landline. They got a fast beeping tone instead of the ringing tone. I see there's no record in FreshPHONE of any incoming calls from them.

After being told this, I tried calling from my cellphone; my VOIP phone rang and there's a record of the call.

This afternoon I tried calling my number from the same landline mentioned above and I got a ringing tone. I then tried phoning from another Telkom landline and got a fast beeping tone (if I'm not mistaken, the one that means the phone is off the hook). I hung up, tried again, and this time I got the ringing tone. Looking at the list of incoming calls for my FreshPHONE number, I see one for landline 1 and one for landline 2 - i.e., the first call from landline 2 evidently didn't connect at all.

I'm wondering if anyone from FreshPHONE can tell me why a call from a Telkom line might not connect. As far as I understand it, my FreshPHONE line should never been off the hook or unavailable - at worst, a caller should be routed to my voice mailbox.

Hi Marc,

I hope you are well. If there was no evidence of the call coming through on the call history menu on the TMS, that means the incoming call did not connect at all. There could have been an issue on the callers side. If the call connected and there was evidence of the call that means the call had an issue connecting to our system or to your device.  

Thank you. 

I don't know anything about the infrastructure of the telephone system and how Telkom ultimately connects to FreshPHONE, but is there perhaps a reason why Telkom would not connect to FreshPHONE?

Yes, it could be a problem on the caller's side, but I did try two different lines. Also, this is not the first time the issue has been reported to me by the owner of landline 1. I've also never been able to replicate it from my cellphone. I get the vague sense of a network issue.

I'm just trying to understand where the problem might lie. If you can provide me with any more information, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Marc,

If the call is not registering on our side it will be difficult for our service provider to investigate it further. I would suggest that the next time this issue arises please ask the caller to record the time and date. Please forward these details to us, so our service provider can attempt to trace the call. If there is no issues on our side you will need to ask the caller to submit that information to their service provider to investigate further.  

Thank you. 

Right, I'll do that. Thanks.

Hi Marc,

Thank you. 

Login or Signup to post a comment